Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Llama yarn and silk samples

This is the lovely handspun fair trade llama yarn I ordered from Bolivia via Dharma Trading, and a collection of colored silk squares, beautiful colors.  




The yarn will be part of the knitted and crocheted jungly background for the butterflies and other creatures to perch on, and the silk is going to be incorporated into the butterfly motif.

Can't tell you how lovely it is to handle the yarn, made by Bolivian women spinning from their own llamas, natural colors, their hands were on this yarn, as mine are now.  The Trades Union of Women at work!  

The silk colors are delicious, as silk takes dye so well, and for once I'm not dyeing my own, just wanted some different solid colors for the work.

All's well on the art front. I'm finding that my arm can cope better when I switch back and forward between fine stitching and freeform crochet and knitting with big needles and hooks.  

I have noticed a technical hitch though: if I stitch after crocheting or knitting, the stitching is much wilder than usual, so I have to think myself back into a state of mind where tiny stitches are happening. Or remember to stitch first, do the other later.

2 comments:

  1. the llama wool will be so soft and luxurious and loving the colours of the silk. Do hope the arm is soon back to normal,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Llama yarn is so luxurious to work with I expect - I've never been lucky enough to go beyond fondling it in the store.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.