Friday, August 28, 2015

Art the Beautiful Goes on a Museum Trip

Very close to home, in fact, the Princeton University Art Museum, where it was almost the last day of a watercolor exhibit of holdings from the collection.

With the exception of a lovely Arthur Dove, a couple of Milton Avery pieces (vertiginous as expected with AD! though not the best I've seen of him) and a lovely John Marin, it was a pretty timid show.  Of historical rather than art value, I'd say.  Worth taking a look, mainly for the names I quoted, but not the sort of excitement I was hoping for. I made a side trip to the gallery where they have a Dove and an Avery on permanent display, just to pay my respects.

However, in the lobby of the museum there's a perfectly wonderful artwork, of a Nigerian based Ghanaian artist, El Anatsui, who uses tossed away items such as bottlecaps, flattened and attached, and with cloth passing behind here and there, to make a huge, draped and amazing work. It's like a giant golden fleece, or a extra terrestrial animal hide, just a great experience, and hung right where you see it as you come in.

It's a marvellous artwork and a social statement at the same time, but not like propaganda.  Go here for more information but alas a terrible picture, why oh why with their endowment not get a better image on their website, sigh.  Photos not allowed, so I can't give you a better shot at any of the exhibit items I liked.

This big piece may be responsible for my feeble reactions to the watercolors, too, since its energy took out all the oxygen! and it reminded me vividly of the months I spent on the Great Tin Quilt, and what an experience that was, too.  Editorial update: if you want to know more about this, go here

Outside there's an interesting foretaste of things to come






and a bronze sculpture, in the trees near Prospect Gardens about which I have mixed feelings, but I thought you should see it for yourselves.





And, dwarfing all the work of people, the sequoia outside Prospect Gardens, can't get it all in one shot, but I wanted to be sure you could see the trunk.  






This one's for you, Quinn!

4 comments:

  1. Ah the tin quilt! -Hard to say whether the quilt itself, or the incredulous, joyous, random group of participants was more delightful! For sure you spread the fire of creativity with a Nike spirit of
    "just do it!" Fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a treat that someone else remembers the Great Tin Quilt Caper!

    It was so fun to see all the people hammering and getting into it. And my neighbors, since I wasn't working out of a studio at that period, were profoundly glad when I finished all the noisy prep.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I googled on it and found this! http://fieldfen.blogspot.com/2010/06/great-tin-quilt-caper-aka-home-petcare.html. It probably won't open hot in here, so I'll put it in the body of my post as an editorial late breaking afterthought..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.